The Westinghouse WH 7500E portable generator is a powerful 7500 watt generator with quite operation, long run time, wheeled for portability, electric start and is enclosed to protect form weather or debris.
It’s a top selling portable generator on Amazon in the 7500 watt range.
It is rated 4.8 out of 5 stars. And it can provide 120V or 240V output.
The WH7500E generates power with a 420cc Westinghouse XP Series engine.
This engine uses an overhead valve design which is the standard for high performance. Its strength in durable design comes from the cast iron cylinder sleeves which reduces oil consumption and forged pistons and connecting rods.
The rated output is 7500 watts AC, with a maximum surge of 9000 watts It can provide one 30 amps @ 120V or 240V in the twist outlet (NEMA L14-30R)or 120V at 20 Amp in the 4 duplex outlets (NEMA 5-20R). (Click here for Details on Plugs)
Westinghouse uses their own VR System for voltage regulation to provide a better power quality. Westinghouse has been in the electric business for a very long time and the surge capability will help keep the lights steady and not dim when appliances start up.
Because this unit is an electric start system it does provide charging power to the battery when it is in operation.
The WH7500E uses Unleaded Gas and should have no more than 10% ethanol added and and octane of 87 or better. (note that at higher altitudes the octane may be reduced a point or two, but you may consider mid range fuel to be safe.) The unit capacity is 6.6 gallons (25L)
At half load this amount of fuel will last about 11 to 13 hours. We couldn’t get a good number for the full load operation, but would expect it to be in the 5 to 6 hour range.
This unit is NOT CARB compliant for California, but does meet EPA requirements in the other 49 states.
Oil requirements: As a 4 stroke engine no mixing of oil is required. Oil for the engine crane case is 1.05 quarts (1L) of 10W30 oil It is easily added to the engine and the accessories include an oil funnel to make adding the oil easy as it’s tucked away near one of the wheels on the frame.
This model comes with a low oil shutdown switch to protect the engine should oil become to low.
This engine uses an oversized muffler and catalyst called the Pulse-Flo(tm) and is advertized as one of the quietest operations on the market. We were unable to locate any verifiable decibel level measurements, but customer reviews indicated that when compared to others of same size and even different models it was MUCH quieter. One even compared it to the ultra quiet models as a reference and gave it high marks for quietness.
The WH7500E is considered compact for this size generator (Overall dimensions (L x W x H): 27.2″ x 20.5″ x 22.0″. This is approximately 7 cu. ft. and approaches a 2 foot cube with these dimensions. Being a little less in width at 20.5 inches makes it fairly easy to store.
The generator weights 201 lbs. and with gas you can count on another 50 or so pounds added. Leverage wise the bulk of the weight is near the wheels making it easy to lift and move the generator. One customer review commented on how easily it could be moved around even in muddy conditions.
This not a grab and take off generator, it’s heavy and requires some thought to move it around.
This WH7500E Portable Generator is good for powering a majority of your appliances on a whole house basis. With the right transfer switch and procedure you can hook it in after your main breaker to the power supply. Disconnect from the power company and then start your generator and bring your appliances on line one by one.
With the power supply available you could also host some major portable electric equipment such as a 3000W water heater or run several demanding power tools on a construction site.
You may have to be careful with larger appliance like dryers and electric ranges. Be sure to do your calculations before adding them into the power needs. Maybe a few simple swap outs of what’s needed will work.
The manual comes with a handy chart for determining extension cord size for the amount of power you expect to provide given the length of cord. A typical 12 gauge wire works for drawing 10 amps at 60 feet, but it would be safest to use a 6 gauge for anything over 100 feet or 30 amps.
The control panel and display panel is well organized and easy to understand. It is outlined with 4 areas.
- Run – Start/Stop switch with running hour meter. For this electric model you hold down the start button to energize the starter and it returns to a mid position for running.
- 120/240V area contains the main circuit breaker and the 30 Amp Twist lock Outlet for using either 120V or 240V.
- First set of 2 plugs 120V – 20 amp AC duplex (3 prong standard household) outlets with 20 amp breaker.
- Second set of plugs as described in item 3.
On the right side below the last set of plugs is the ground terminal for the generator. It is required by code to earth ground your generator. This is done by connecting a 10 AWG copper wire to a rod or spike that is embedded in the earth.
Insure that the machine is grounded, level, on a solid surface, 6 feet away from any combustible item and buildings or windows, dry conditions, and in a well ventilated area. Also make sure there is no connected load to protect any appliance from damage when starting the generator.
Check fuel and oil before to ensure you have enough to run the engine. Westinghouse advises against trying to add these after the generator has been running for any length of time. Also the generator will not start if the oil shutdown switch senses low oil.
Make sure the circuit breakers are set and not tripped for all 3 sets of plugs.
The generator uses a recoil rope (pull rope) starting method.
- Turn on fuel shutoff valve to ON
- Move choke lever to ON
- Push and hold the run button to the start position until the engine engages and starts then release and the switch will automatically return to the run position. Alternatively you can put the switch to the run position and use the recoil handle to start the engine.
- As engine warms up and stabilizes move the choke back to the off position
- After warm up turn economy switch back on. (note that if you forget and leave it on, it will not operate until the engine is warmed up. which is 3 to 5 minutes.)
Notes: using the electric start you should not hold the button longer than 5 seconds and let the generator set for 15 seconds between attempts.
- Remove all loads from the generator
- Allow to run for a couple of minutes to stabilize and reduce temperatures
- Push the run switch to stop
- Turn off fuel shutoff valve
Tips for storage: Let engine run if going to storage or drain the system. Some folks use a fuel stabilizer.
The Westinghouse WH7500E has a few features that give it a top rating.
- Solid Wheel and handle kit for moving around the heavy generator with ease.
- Uses a compression release and transistorized ignition for easy start and running.
- Quality alternator, brush excitation, and voltage regulation for ensuring zero down time operation.
- Steel construction with a cast iron fan guard for durability
Caring for the WH7500E is simple as you’ll want to store with a cover or in a low dust and dry environment.
Before operation – check oil, and air filter, check and clean cooling features. The odd thing with the manual is they left out the battery on the maintenance chart, but that should be part of the pre-operating procedure.
Prior to performing maintenance Westinghouse has a number of things it promotes before working on your generator. It is as simple as disconnecting the battery to prevent accidental starting and allowing the machine to cool the touch. You’ll want to read through the section before doing any maintenance.
Periodic maintenance needs to be done to avoid failure or injury. The manual has a nice chart for following maintenance, and in general requires:
Engine oil should be changed initially at 20 hours operation and then every 50 hours thereafter.
Air filter should be cleaned every 50hr/3months and replace every year or 300 hours of operation.
Spark plugs, spark arrestor, fuel filter, should be cleaned and checked every 100 hrs/ 6 months and the plug replaced every 300 hours. Valve clearances and idle speed should be checked and adjusted every year or 300 hours of operation.
Off course if you’re handy with mechanical items you can make proper judgements to the condition of these components for cleaning, replacement and adjustment. Be sure to read the manual on specifics of how to accomplish these tasks.
The WH7500E portable generator has a 3-year warranty for household or recreational use, however, labor is only covered for only one year. Parts are covered for 3 years.
If used for commercial application (income producing or business related purposes) in carries only a one year warranty.
Emissions control system is warranted for two years.
- Retain your purchase receipt and register the Westinghouse generator.
- Good for the original purchaser only and non-transferable.
- Be able to demonstrate reasonable care and use, but there is no exacting standard, so maybe a log might be in order.
- It will be your expense to deliver or ship your unit to a WESTPRO authorized Service Dealer for warranty repairs.
There is the typical host of exclusions which involve customer failure to properly maintain or care for the unit and for things outside of the manufactures control. You’ll find the full list in the manual.
Overall it’s fair and standard for the industry.
This unit is 4.8 of 5 stars by users. And 99% were 4 star and above at the time of this generator review.
Customers where general very satisfied with the generator and explained being able to run their house entirely on this generator. They also commented on how well built the generator appeared. One even referred to it being built like a brick.
The top comments were associated with the ease of use and the meeting the high demands of their individual needs. Long run time was also a big hit.
Many of the customers referred to how much research they had done on the generators and that the Westinghouse Portable Generators always ended up on top as far as features, quality, and reliability.
- Excellent construction and durability
- Generally compact
- Electric Start
- Long run time 11+ hours at half load.
- Comes with oil, funnel, tool kit, and manual.
- Reasonably good 3 year warranty
- Hour meter for monitoring use.
- Customer service reports have been excellent
On the negative side there are a few issues.
- Although design in US it is made in china, however, with Westinghouse’s reputation for quality control there have been no significant issues.
- The received units from shipping has been an issue for a few people with damaged units arriving.
- Only one 30 amp outlet if you have higher demand this may limit you.
- Not so much a con, but an unknown is the unproven warranty as the units are fairly new to the market.
- Wheel attachment are via cotter pin rather than a more durable screw bolt attachment. However, unless you’re moving it extensively this should not be an issue.
Street price for Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator is below $950. Although it retails for nearly $1000 you should be able to save 70 dollars and occasionally you may see it on sale for even less. Click the link above to add it to your cart and get the best and latest pricing.
There are a number of accessories you you’ll may need or wish to have when picking up this generator: (click image or link to add to your amazon cart)
- Westinghouse Generator Cover
- 5 gallon CARB Compliant gas can – This is just a good idea to have a CARB compliant storage for your gas.
- 30 amp Power Cords – and Inlet Box:
Reliance Controls PC3010 10-Feet 30-Amp L14-30 Generator Power Cord for up to 7500-Watt Generators
Inlet Box – Reliance Controls PB30 L14-30, 30 Amp For Up To 7,500 Watt Generators
- Transfer Switch: For connecting to house or sheds:
Reliance Controls 31410CRK Pro/Tran 10-Circuit 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switch Kit With Transfer Switch, 10-Foot Power Cord, And Power Inlet Box For Up To 7,500-Watt Generators
- 20 amp Power Cords:
– GenTran RJB12410 10-Foot 20 Amp Power Cord
– Yellow Jacket 2991 20-Amp Generator Cord with T-Blade 5-20 Lighted Ends, 50-Feet
– Coleman Cable 026188802 20-Amp Generator Cord 5-20P to 5-20R, Lighted, 50-Feet
- Solar Battery Charger could be handy for keeping a charge when not in use for long periods. (not that you could periodically just start it and run it to charge the battery.)
1.8 watt solar charger
- Appliance Load Tester for finding out exactly your device power usage or need.
– Reliance Controls THP103 AmWatt Generator Appliance Wattage/Amps Load Tester
– GSI Quality Load Tester For Appliances And Plug-In Electronics
The WH7500E portable generator is a good seller and well rated by customers. It provides 7500 watts of rated power with excellent surge/starting watts to 9000W. The quiet running 4 stroke engine with electric start makes it a breeze to use and operate.
The ability to run the majority of your household with this generator makes it an excellent emergency generator for lasting out big storms and other power outages. As a construction power provider you’ll be able to run a number of electric tools without worry.
The compact size for the watts generated is superior and the all steel construction is a huge plus for durable use and operation. Setup to be movable easily makes this a big plus for just about any person with a little strength.
Given the 4.8 star rating from a wide array of users this is a unit you can count on for your needs at the 7500 watt range.
The following are similar Westinghouse Generators at various wattage sizes
6500 watts: WH6500E Portable Generator
5500 watts: WH5500 Portable Generator
3250 watts: WH3250 Portable Generator
Photo’s from: Amazon.com