The Stanley 5000 watts All Weather Generator is made by Gxi Outdoor Power. Gxi is an American company with its headquarters in North Carolina. This company has its own manufacturing plants in China and the Stanley 5000 watts generator and the engine are manufactured by Gxi Outdoor Power.
This Stanley generator is an all weather generator and can be run in the open even if it rains or snows. This feature along with the removable control panel with 15 feet of cable makes it possible to connect loads on to the generator without having to go out in bad weather. This portable generator can be used as a backup power source for your home in times of power outages.
According the owners manual this unit is CARB compliant and specifically the spark arrestor must be installed for it to meet California regulations. However, the advertizing done on various sites indicates that it is not CARB compliant and can not be shipped to CA. As with many units there may be two setups and one is not CARB.
Power Output and Generation
The Stanley 5000 watts portable gas powered generator is capable of supplying 5000 watts of continuous power and can surge up to 6600 watts. This generator is powered by a 10 HP 279 cc OHV 4 stroke commercial duty engine made by Stanley..
The unit is well enclosed to protect electrical parts from weather, but still open on the end for engine cooling.
The rated output is 20.8 watts at 240V AC. Using the dual circuits for 120V you can get up to 40 amps total, but no more than 20 on any single circuit. Also Stanley recommends only using 80% capacity for running times over 30 minutes.
This just verifies that when sizing up a generator plan on needed power at 50 to 60% of rated power.
The main unit has only a L14-30 receptacle which the detachable plug assembly panel may be plugged into. Thus allowing a direct L14 connection a transfer switch or the assembly. The plug assembly allows 15 foot of extension to get your plugs out of the weather. It is configured as 4 120V 5-20R receptacles (2 duplex sets) and one L14-30R receptacle for 120V.240V service.
Fuel Type and Noise Levels:
The Stanley 5000 watts generator uses unleaded gasoline as fuel. It has a large fuel tank with a capacity of 12 gallons which lets it run for 24 hours at 50% load capacity which means that you do not have to fill the fuel tank every so often. At a half gallon per hour this gives yo a long time before needing to refuel.
This generator claimes a a noise level of 68 db using the oversized muffler, which makes it reasonable in this size range. No distance for this measurement was provided, but it is probably quieter on the whole due to the weather protection damping the mechanical noise.
Dimensions and Weight
The overall dimensions of the Stanley 5000 watts generator are 28.5 x 22.0 x 23.2 inches ( L x W x H ) and it weighs in at 235.0 lbs. With gas (6 lbs per gal) about 307 lbs. (note slight differences exisit on various sites for the dimensions)
The heavy duty construction makes this generator quite bulky and heavy, but for the power it can provide it is quite comparable in both size and weight to other generators in its class.
Typical Uses and Needs
The Stanley 5000 watts has a large fuel tank which lets it run for up to 24 hours at 50% capacity. This makes this generator an ideal backup power supply for your home during power outages.
With it being capable of withstanding rain, sleet and snow while running it does not require any weather proof covering while running and with a removable control panel with a 15 foot cord means that you can have the outlets of the generator in a dry place even if the generator is out in the open.
Being portable means that this generator can be used to supply power wherever you need it. It can also be used as a source of power at a job site to run power tools when there is no electricity available. You can also take it to your cabin to supply you with electricity when you need it.
Display & Control Panel, Start-up
The control panel of the Stanley 5000 watts generator is located on the side of the generator and it is protected from the elements by a clear weather shield.
When facing the generator you will find that it has a digital meter at the top on the left hand side. This meter indicates the voltage, hertz, as well as the hours that the unit has run.
Below the meter you have the On/Off Start switch and to the right you have the main circuit breaker. Below the Start switch you have a 120V/240V 30 amp twist lock receptacle. The removable control panel can be connected to the generator with this receptacle.
The removable control panel has 4 120V 20 amp GFCI outlets and one 120V/240V 30 amp outlet with a twist lock connecter.
The Stanley 5000 watts All Weather generator uses a recoil starter to start the engine of the generator. Here are the steps to be taken to start this unit.
- Make sure that the generator is placed on a level flat surface.
- Check that the generator is properly grounded.
- Disconnect all loads from the generator and see that the Circuit breaker is in the Off position.
- Check the engine oil and the fuel.
- Move the Fuel valve lever to the On position.
- Pull the Choke lever to the Closed position.
- Turn the engine ON/Off switch to the On position.
- Hold the recoil starter grip and pull slowly till you feel a resistance, then pull rapidly.
- Once the engine of the generator is running , push the Choke lever to the Open position.
- Let the generator engine warm up for about 3 minutes before you connect any loads.
- Turn the Circuit Breaker to the Off position.
- Disconnect all loads from the generator.
- Allow the engine to run for 3 minutes without any load.
- Turn the engine switch to the Off position.
- Turn the fuel valve lever to the Off position.
Here is a summary of the features of the Stanley 5000 watts generator.
- It can produce 5000 watts of continuous power and surge up to 6600 watts.
- It has a large fuel tank with a capacity of 12 gallons which lets it run for 24 hours at 50% load capacity.
- It has an All Weather design which makes it safe to operate in rain, sleet or snow.
- It has an oversized muffler which produces only 68Db of sound.
- It has a control panel which gives you operational information as well as can be used for diagnostics.
- It has retractable handles and never go flat wheels for easy maneuverability.
- It has a 15 feet 10 gauge power cord attached to the removable control panel with four 120V 20 amp GFCI outlets and one 120V/240V 30 amp twist lock outlet.
- It has a 10HP 279 cc 4 stroke OHV commercial duty engine with a Low oil shut off.
- It has a 100% copper alternator for improved performance.
- It has a fast acting magnetic breaker for surge protection.
Care and Maintenance and Use
When it comes to your Stanley 5000 watts gas powered portable generator, good maintenance is essential for its safe, economical and trouble free operation. To help you take care of your generator, here is a maintenance schedule as recommended by Stanley Power Equipment.
Before each use
- Check the engine oil.
- Check the Air cleaner.
Every 20 hours or 3 months
- Change the engine oil.
Every 50 hours or every 3 months
- Wash the Air cleaner.
- Clean the spark arrestor.
Every 100 hours or 6 months
- Clean the Fuel filter cup.
- Clean the Fuel tank and the fuel filter.
Every 250 hours
- Clean the combustion chamber.
Every 300 hours or every year
- Change the Spark plug.
- Adjust the valve clearances.
Every 2 years
- Check and replace the fuel tube if necessary.
Warranty and Repairs
The Stanley 5000 watts portable generator is covered by a 2 year limited warranty for the non commercial user. The warranty only applies to the first retail purchaser of the unit.
Under this warranty the engine, the alternator, the electrical and frame components as well as the emission controls are covered for a period of 2 years or 200 hours of use.
For the commercial user the warranty covers the engine, the alternator, the electrical and frame components and the emission controls for a period of 6 months or 200 hours of use.
Stanley Power Equipment will repair or replace at its option any part that is proven to be defective in material or workmanship. All transportation charges are to be borne by the consumer. You must contact Stanley directly for instructions on warranty repairs.
The Stanley 5000 watts All Weather gas powered portable generator gets 4.3 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
The customers who bought this unit liked its performance. They especially liked the fact that they could run this generator in rain, sleet and snow safely. They also liked the large fuel tank that holds 12 gallons of fuel and lets the generator run for 24 hours at 50% capacity without refueling.
Generally speaking customers commented on having no problems powering whole house without issue. Many gave it high recommendations and indicated how dependable it was. . Several commented on the ability to leave it in the rain and still have the extenable plug assembly under cover.
Pros & Cons
- It can run in all weather conditions including rain, sleet and snow safely and has a removable panel with outlets that can be placed in a dry location.
- It has a large fuel tank of 12 gallons which lets it run for 24 hours at 50% load capacity.
- It has retractable handles and never go flat tires for easy maneuverability.
- It has on board digital diagnostic display.
- It has a nice 5000 watts of power continuously and another 1600W of additional surge.
- It has a 279 cc 4 stroke OHV commercial duty engine for long life.
- It has a 100% copper alternator for improved performance.
- It has a 2 year limited warranty.
- It is heavy.
- The paint comes off easily.
- It is preseved as loud by some customers..
The price of the Stanley 5000 watts generator does vary depending on supplier even on amazon. Some build in shipping others can charge close $50.
Check Here for the latest on the 5000W generator: Stanley 5000 Watt, 6600 Surge Watt All Weather Generator, Removable Control Panel with Bonus 15-Feet Heavy Duty Cord
For your Stanley 5000 watts generator you can find a few accessories which would help you take care as well as make the most of your generator.
You can find a dust cover for this generator which would help protect it from the elements when not in use.
You can also find a transfer kit which would help you to safely power your house with this generator.
You can also get power cords of different lengths to help you connect your appliances to the generator.
Stanley generators are solidly made for long lasting durability and dependability. The Stanley 5000 watts generator is one from this range of generators.
It is a commercial duty generator which can be safely operated in all weather conditions and has a removable control panel with outlets that can be placed in a dry location for convenience and safety while the unit runs in rain, sleet or snow.
This generator with its 5000 watts of continuous output and a surge capacity of 6600 watts makes it an ideal generator to have as a back up for your home during power outages.
Its large fuel tank of 12 gallons gives it a running time of 24 hours at 50% load capacity which means that you do not have to keep refueling it often.
Being portable makes this an acceptable generator for your RV or to take camping or for your cabin in the woods where you need electricity. It can also be used on a job site to run power tools when there is no electricity available.
Check other suppliers at amazon as this items is out of stock often. If you can wait it’s a good buy from them.
Similar Generation Units:
The following Generators are similar to the above but at different wattage sizes