The Honda EU2000ia Companion portable generator is a gas powered inverter generator which is designed to give you clean electrical power with utmost fuel efficiency.
The Honda Motor Company is known all over the world for its products. Their generators are known for their efficiency as well as their quality This generator is very quiet when running and makes for an ideal companion when camping or for use in an RV to power your lights and other electrical appliances.
This generator can also be teamed up with another similar generator and run in parallel if you need more electrical power. These cables are provided with “ia” listing, but are not standard with the basic “i” models.
Power Output and Generation
The Honda EU2000ia Companion portable generator is powered by a Honda GX100 98.5 cc engine which lets it produce 1600 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 2000 watts.
For the EU2000ia model you get two 5-20R outlets and there is a 12V (8A) charging circuit as well. Note the newer companion models have a basic outlet setup of one 5-20R and one L5-30R.
This is due to the ability to be connected in parallel using an approved parallel operation cable kit with another similar generator, thus you can double the output wattage up to 3200 watts (26.6 amps).
There are complete instructions in the owner’s manual on how to connect and utilize this parallel capability.
Fuel Type and Noise Levels:
The Honda EU2000ia Companion portable generator uses gasoline as its fuel. It has a fuel tank capacity of .95 gallons and is advertised to run for 9.6 hours at ¼ load capacity. At full load you’ll get 4 hours of run time. So you can plan on around 6 to 7 hours when operating the unit in the 50 to 60% load range.
This generator is comparatively very quiet producing only 53dB at ¼ load and a great 59dB at full load. That’s fantastic!
Dimensions and Weight
The Honda EU2000ia portable generator has overall dimensions of 20.1 x 11.4 x 16.7 inches (L x W x H) and it weighs in at only 45.9 lbs. which makes it light weight and easily portable.
Even with a full fuel tank it’s just over 50 lbs.
Typical Uses and Needs
The Honda EU2000ia Companion portable generator has inverter technology which allows it to deliver clean electrical power which is safe for all your sensitive electronic equipment.
It can also be connected in parallel with another similar generator to double the output wattage in case you need more electrical power. The Honda EU2000ia generator is very light weight and easily portable, it has between 5 and 9.6 hours of operation ability depending on your load profile.
At less than 59Db sound level this is an ideal generator to take camping or to be used in your Rv to power your electrical appliances. Being easily portable means that this generator can also be used at for all your miscellaneous jobs to power your tools when there is no electricity available. It can also be used as a backup power source for your home to power an essential electric equipment during power outages.
Display & Control Panel, Start-up
The control panel of the Honda EU2000ia Companion portable generator is located on the end of the generator.
When you face the control panel, at the top left you will find the Economy throttle switch which lets the engine run as per the electrical load. Below this switch is the Oil alert indicator light, below this light you have the Overload indicator light and below this you have the Output indicator light.
To the right of the Eco throttle switch you have the outlets for parallel operation of 2 similar generators. Below the Parallel operation outlets you have the Ground terminal.
To the right of the parallel operation outlets you have the two 20 amp receptacles and below them you have the circuit breaker and the DC 12V outlet.
The HondaEU2000ia Companion portable gas powered generator is equipped with a recoil rope system to start its engine. Before you start the engine of the generator make sure that the generator is placed on a flat level surface. Also check the engine oil level, the fuel level and see that the air filter is clean. Here are the steps to be taken to start the generator.
- Check and make sure that all appliances connected to the generator are turned OFF.
- Turn the fuel filler cap vent lever to the On position.
- Make sure that the Eco throttle switch is to the Off position.
- Move the Choke lever to the Closed position.
- Turn the Engine switch to the On position.
- Pull the Starter grip lightly till you feel a resistance, then pull sharply.
- Gradually move the Choke lever to the Open position as the engine warms up.
- To use the Eco throttle system, turn the Eco throttle switch to the On position after the engine has warmed up.
- Turn Off and disconnect all appliances connected to the generator.
- Turn the Engine switch to the Off position.
- After the engine has cooled turn the fuel filler cap vent lever to the Off position.
Here are some of the features of the HondaEU2000ia Companion gas powered portable generator.
- It has a Honda GX100 98.5 cc 4 stroke engine for quiet reliable powering of the generator.
- It is very fuel efficient and can run from 4 hours up to 9.6 hours depending on applied loads on less than 1 gallon of fuel.
- It has two 20 amp receptacles and a DC charging circuit to meet your everyday needs.
- It can be connected in parallel with another Honda EU 2000 to double the output to 3600 rated watts.
- This generator has built in inverter technology which lets it supply clean electric power safe for your sensitive electronic equipment.
- This generator is very quiet as compared to other generators of the same size. It produces only 53dB when running at 25% load capacity and no more than 59dB running full load.
- It is also very light weight and compact making it easily portable.
- It comes with a 3 year warranty. One of the best in the industry.
Care and Maintenance and Use
Taking proper care and doing regular maintenance will not only ensure that your generator gives you trouble free service, but it will also it run economically and reduce air pollution. Here is the maintenance schedule as recommended by Honda Motor Company for your HondaEU2000ia Companion generator.
Before Each Use
- Check the engine oil level.
- Check the Air filter.
First Month or after 20 hours
- Change the engine oil.
Every 3 Months or after 50 hours
- Clean the Air Filter.
Every 6 Months or after 100 hours
- Change the engine oil.
- Check and adjust the spark plug.
- Clean the spark arrester.
- Clean the fuel tank and the fuel filter.
Every year or after 200 hours
- Replace the spark plug.
- Check and adjust the valve clearances.
After every 300 hours
- Clean the combustion chamber.
Every 2 years
- Check the fuel tube and replace if necessary.
Warranty and Repairs
The Honda EU2000ia Companion portable generator is covered by a warranty for a period of 3 years from purchase of the generator. This warranty covers both residential as well as commercial users. The warranty is transferable to subsequent owners.
American Honda will replace at its discretion any part that proven to be defective in material or workmanship. The labor and parts are covered under this warranty. The repairs will be carried out by a Honda Power equipment dealer and transportation costs are to be borne by the customer.
The HondaEU2000ia Companion portable generator gets full 5 stars ratings by customers.
The customers who bought this generator had no complaints about it. Some of them commented on the fact that it can be run in parallel with a similar generator to increase the output when they needed more power.
A few of them commented on how quiet it was while running. Some of them commented on the Eco throttle feature which increases its fuel efficiency.
One of the customers also commented on how well this generator ran when he was without power for 6 weeks.
The only negative comment about this generator was that it needed to come with wheels which would make it easy to move it around.
Pros & Cons
- Very quiet generator allowing easy conversation even when next to it.
- Very fuel efficient with 4 to 10 hours of run time.
- Can be connected with another similar generator to double the power output.
- It is very light weight and easily portable.
- It has built in inverter technology for high quality power for sensitive electronic equipment.
- It comes with a 3 year warranty.
- It has an oil alert which shuts the generator if it is low on oil.
- It is CARB compliant.
- It is expensive. But you are paying for high quality construction, reliability and a great warranty.
- It does not come with wheels which could make it difficult to move it around for those that have difficulty with 50 lbs. of weight.
- It does not have a fuel shut off valve which makes it a bit difficult to empty the carburetor.
The HondaEU2000ia Companion portable generator is available online. You can check availability and pricing here: Honda EU2000ia Companion Portable Generator at Amazon
There are a few accessories that you could get for your HondaEU2000ia Companion portable generator.
You can get a generator cover that would help to protect it from dust and moisture when not in use. Honda Silver Generator Cover – Fits Honda EU2000i Generators or the Honda Generator EU2000i Camouflage Cover
Although this unit comes with them, if you pick up a different model you could get parallel cables that would help you connect another similar generator to increase the output. Honda Parallel Cables
You could also get a Handi cart which would help you transport the generator much more easily. Honda Generators Handi Cart – For Honda EU2000i Generator, Model# EU2000 Handi Cart
There are also a few other items worth taking a look at like:
The HondaEU2000ia Companion portable generator is a light weight fuel efficient generator that can deliver 1600 watts of continuous power and surge up to 2000 watts. It can also be run in parallel with another similar generator to double the power output. It is an ideal generator to power your appliances in your RV or to take camping or tailgating.
This generator comes with built in inverter technology which lets it deliver clean safe electric power for your sensitive electronic equipment.
This generator is also very quiet producing less than 50 dB of sound and only 53dB at low load.
The Honda generators have a great reputation for quality and reliability and compete with the Yamaha series in this arena. Both are great choices. There are many users that rave about the Honda line and with good reason.
Backed by technology from Honda this generator is well built and designed to give you many years of reliable service. Note that some listing are not correctly showing the MSRP.
Check the latest here: Honda EU2000ia Companion Portable Generator
Similar Generation Units:
The following Generators are similar to the above but at different wattage sizes