The DuroMax XP10000EH is a hybrid dual fuel portable generator that is capable of running on Gasoline as well as liquid propane.DuroMax has been producing reliable well built portable generators that are reasonably priced. You can find a DuroMax portable generator to fit your budget as well as your needs. Not only does DuroMax produce portable generators that use gasoline as fuel but they also produce generators that can run either on gasoline or propane.
This is one of the largest portable generator in the DuroMax range of generators and can be used as a backup power source for your home in times of power outages. Being portable it can have a wide range of uses especially with the dual fuel capacity.
Power Output and Generation
The DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator is equipped with a DuroMax 18hp OHV 4 stroke air cooled engine. This engine is equipped with cast iron sleeves and steel bearings for a long life.
This engine allows this generator to produce up to 7,800 watts (65A @ 120V) of continuous output while being able to surge up to 10,000 watts.
Electrical output is very flexible with two circuits of 3,900W each available. The main circuit breaker allows 32 amps per circuit and then there are also three individual circuit breakers for the duplex plug (20A), and 30 each for the twist lock L5 and L14 receptacles.
The first circuit powers the twist lock plugs for the L5-30R (120V) and half of the L14-30R and 50 amp (240V) receptacles. The second circuit powers the 120V duplex 5-20R and half of the L14-30R and 50 amp plug.,
Additionally you have a 12 Volt 10 amp DC outlet.
Note that actually output will be affected by the environmental factors associated with elevation and fuel type. For practical long term power you would be looking to use 4000 to 4500 watts on a continuous basis and allowing the upper range of power supply for short term needs.
Fuel Type and Noise Levels:
The DuroMax XP10000EH portable generator is a dual fuel generator, which can run on either liquid propane or gasoline. It has a gasoline fuel tank capacity of 8.3 gallons that lets it run for 10 hours at 50% load capacity. When using propane as fuel you can connect this generator to any size tank. You could connect it to a 20 lb tank or a 100 lb tank or even to the main propane tank that runs your home.
This generator is reasonably quiet for its size producing only 72 dB at 21 feet. Utilizing its idle control it will be very quiet at only 45 dB when at idle.
When this unit is at ideal you’ll hardly notice it, but when in use you can expect it to be very noticeable.
Dimensions and Weight
The DuroMax XP10000EH portable generator has overall dimensions of 34 x 27 x 27 inches ( L x W X H ) and it weighs in at 265lbs. Add another 50 lbs. in fuel and this is going to be a bit of a monster to move around.
Of course the machine is set up to try and balance the load with a wheel kit to make it easier to move, but it’s likely going to be prudent to have extra help with this one if any extensive moving around is required.
Typical Uses and Needs
The DuroMax XP10000EH is a heavy duty portable generator which can run on either gasoline or liquid propane. It has an electric start which makes it very convenient and easy to use. With several different plug configurations it’s possible to setup a number of simultaneous extension power cords to work multiple appliances or tools.
This generator is portable and comes with a wheel kit which means that you can get it to any where you need electrical power fairly easily. Its dual fuel capability makes it easy for you to find fuel to run it.
It can be easily used as a backup source of power for your home. Being portable you can also use it at any job site where you need electrical power to run your tools or lights. It is EPA approved and can be used in all State Parks (expect CA), which makes it acceptable for large camping needs where you would need electrical power.
You can also use it with your RV to power your electrical appliances or even charge your battery if required. Although at this size you’ll need to consider the mobility and storage if you are going to travel with it.
It really is a versatile portable generator that can deliver enough power for your needs wherever you might need electrical power.
Display & Control Panel, Start-up
The control panel of the DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator is located on the side of the generator.
When you face the generator you will find at its top left the Engine switch that is used to Start, Run or Stop the generator. To the right of this switch you have 3 circuit breakers that control the AC outlets. To the right of these circuit breakers is the Auto Throttle switch and to right of this switch is the Main AC circuit breaker.
Continuing to the right of the main circuit breaker is the Volt Meter. To the left under the Engine switch we have the Oil Alert indicator and next to it on the right we have the Recharge indicator.
To the left and below the Oil alert indicator, you have the 120 Volt AC twist lock outlet and to the right of that you have 2 120 Volt 20 amp outlets. To the right of these outlets you have the 120V/240V 50 amp outlet and to the right of that you have the 120V/240V 30 amp twist lock outlet. To the right of this outlet you have the Voltage selector switch.
Below the Voltage selector switch you have the DC Circuit breaker and below this you have the 12 Volt DC outlet and to the right of it you have the Ground Terminal.
The DuroMax XP10000EH portable generator is equipped with an electric start system. It also has a recoil rope system to start the engine as a back up in case the battery is dead.
Before you start the generator check to see that it is placed on a flat level surface. If you use gasoline as fuel, check the fuel tank to see that it has enough fuel. If you are going to use Liquid propane as fuel, check to see that the propane tank is connected properly, also check to see that the gasoline fuel valve is turned to the Off position.
Check that you have sufficient engine oil in the system. Also check and see that there are no loads applied to the generator. Here are the steps to be taken to start the engine of the generator.
- Make sure that the Main AC circuit breaker is in the Off position.
- If using Propane see that the fuel valve on the Propane tank is in the Open position. If using Gasoline check and see that the gasoline fuel valve is in the Open position.
- Pull the Choke rod Out to the Closed position.
- If using the recoil starter, turn the Engine switch to the On position then pull the starter grip till you feel a resistance then pull sharply.
- If using the electric start, turn the Engine switch to the start position and hold for up to 5 seconds till the engine starts.
- When the engine starts, let the Engine switch return to the On position.
- Push the Choke rod slowly to the Open position
- Let the engine warm up for a couple of minutes before you connect a load on to the generator.
- Turn the Main AC circuit breaker to the Off position.
- Turn the Engine switch to the Off position.
- If using gasoline as fuel turn the Fuel valve to the Off position.
- If using propane as fuel close the Fuel valve on the propane tank.
Here are some of the features of the DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator.
- It can run on either gasoline or liquid propane.
- It can produce up to 8,000 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 10,000 watts.
- It has a gasoline fuel tank capacity of 8.3 gallons which lets it run for 10 hours at around 4000 watts of load.
- It has a cast iron cylinder and steel bearings for a long life.
- It has a powerful 18 hp OHV engine for steady production of power.
- It comes with a wheel kit and front handles to move it around.
- It has an Auto throttle which lets it adjust the speed of the engine as per the load saving fuel and reducing the noise.
- It comes with an electric start as well as a recoil rope system to start the engine.
- It has a Volt meter as well as a low oil indicator.
- It has a Voltage selector switch which lets you operate both 120 Volt as wellas 240 Volt appliances or use the total power of the generator for 120 Volt appliances.
- It has a 12 Volt DC outlet for charging batteries.
- It has 2 120 Volt 20 amp AC outlets, 1 120 Volt 30 amp AC twist lock outlet, 1 120Volt/240 Volt 30amp twist lock outlet as well as 1 120Volt/240Volt 50amp AC twist lock outlet. Check this.
Care and Maintenance and Use
Like all machinery it is important that you do periodic maintenance on your DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator. Regular maintenance will help you to keep the generator running at its best while working efficiently saving fuel and lowering pollution. This will also help you get the most out of generator and extend its life.
Here is the maintenance schedule for this generator as recommended by DuroMax.
Before each use
- Check the engine oil.
- Check the Air filter.
First month or after 20 hours
- Change the engine oil.
Every 3 months or after 50 hours
- Clean the air filter.
Every 6 months or after 100 hours
- Change the engine oil.
- Clean the sediment cup.
- Check, clean and adjust the spark plug as necessary.
- Clean the spark arrestor.
Every year or after 300 hours
- Replace the spark plug.
- Check and adjust the idle speed.
- Check and adjust the valve clearances.
After every 500 hours
- Clean the combustion chamber.
- Clean the fuel tank and fuel filter.
Every 2 years
- Check and replace the fuel hose if necessary.
Warranty and Repairs
The DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator comes with a 30 day replacement warranty on the generator and a 1 year limited warranty on parts that are found defective.
This warranty covers free replacement of parts during the warranty period. Transportation costs are to be borne by the consumer.
This low end warranty reflects the lower pricing of the unit. If you’re going to be a heavy user, you’ll find most issues arise quickly and this level of coverage should be adequate to cover your needs.
The DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator gets a very high rating on Amazon and other sites.
The customers who bought this generator were pleased with its performance. Some of the commented on its price and how more economical it was as compared to other similar generators.
Some of them commented on its rugged construction while others commented that they liked its dual fuel system. Some of them also commented on how well it ran most of their home during power outages. They liked the power it could supply.
Some of the customers who used it in their RVs commented on how easy it was to hook it up to their RV and they also liked the fact that it came with a 12 Volt DC outlet to charge their batteries.
Most of the consumers liked the fact that it had an electric start which made it easy to start the generator and they also liked the fact that it had a recoil rope starter system as a back up.
Pros & Cons
- It has a powerful 18hp air cooled OHV engine with cast iron sleeves and steel bearings.
- It is a dual fuel generator and can run on liquid propane or gasoline.
- It comes with a wheel kit and handles that let you move it around.
- It has an Auto throttle switch which lets the engine run at speeds as per the load connected, saving on fuel as well as reducing the noise.
- It comes with a Voltmeter and a low oil indicator.
- It also comes with a Voltage selector switch which lets you run 120 Volt appliances with full power from the generator or run both 120Volt appliances as well as 240 Volt appliances.
- It comes with a 12 Volt DC outlet.
- It comes with an electric start that makes it easy to get it running.
- It is quite Heavy and difficult to move around.
- It is not CARB compliant and therefore not sold in California.
- Can be a bit difficult to assemble.
- Has its propane fuel hose too close to the wheels.
The DuroMax XP 10000EH dual fuel portable generator has a list price of $2000.00 but it is available at Amazon for around 1,300.00 with free shipping. Check the latest price here:DuroMax XP10000EH Dual Fuel Propane/Gas Powered Portable Electric Start Generator
When you get a DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel portable generator you might want to get a few accessories for it.
You could get a generator cover that would protect it from dust and moisture when not in use. DuroMax XPLGC Generator Cover For XP10000E, and XP10000EH
You could also get a Gen Tent for it that would let you use this generator even in rain and snow.GenTent 10K Rain/Wet Weather Safety Canopy (Standard Size w/ Heat Shields) – GT10KB1UTB
If using it as a back up power source for your home, you could get a transfer kit that would help you transfer the power from the generator safely to your home. This 50 amp one would be a good choice. Briggs & Stratton 1918 50 Amp 10 Circuit Air Cooled Standby Generator Transfer Switch
You could also get power cords in different lengths to help you connect your appliances to the generator like this, Camco 55195 50 AMP 30′ Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle
The DuroMax XP10000EH Dual fuel portable generator can run on gasoline or liquid propane which makes it a very versatile generator. It has a powerful engine and can produce upwards of 8000 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 10000 watts.
It has a gasoline fuel tank capacity of 8.3 gallons which lets it run for 10 hours at 50% load capacity. When it comes to liquid propane it can be connected to any size fuel tank. Which will alleviate some worries about running out of fuel.
This generator is capable of running most of your home during a power outage. Being portable means that you can take this generator wherever you may need electrical power. It is EPA certified, but not CARB compliant, so you can use it in any State park while camping, but please keep it to noisy areas.
You can also use it at a job site to run your power tools and lights. It can also be easily connected to your RV to run your appliances as well as being able to charge your battery.
It is very affordable, very reliable and ruggedly built making it one of the best portable generators in its class.
Similar Generation Units:
The following Generators are similar to the above for consideration.
This is the CARB Compliant Model but is gasoline only. DuroMax XP10000E-CA Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start (CARB Compliant)
Here’s a number of others you can check out as well: