The Briggs and Stratton 30553 1,600 watt Powersmart series inverter generator is one of two inverter output generators on the market that competes well in the this generator market. This is the newer model replaces the older 30473 model and hopefully improves some of the older issues that model had.
Briggs and Stratton is a company well known for its small gasoline engines and power equipment. This company has been serving customers for over 100 years with products that are reliable, efficient and dependable.
Briggs and Stratton is also the largest producer of small engines in the world. It has manufacturing facilities all over the world and their products are marketed and serviced in over 100 countries. This generator is equipped with a Briggs and Stratton engine to give you dependable power with a long service life.
They are producing an inverter series to compete in the market place and significantly lower prices than some of the main players in the market such as Honda and Yamaha.
Power Output and Generation
The Briggs and Stratton 30553 PowerSmart series inverter generator is equipped with a 105 cc air cooled OHV Briggs and Stratton engine.
This engine lets this inverter generator produce up to 1,600 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 2,000 watts.
The output provided is two 5-20R 120V receptacles which will allow up to 13.3 amps total.
In addition it has a cigarette lighter 12V outlet for up to 5 amps of output (60W).
Using our recommended load range in the 50 to 60% range for long term power you can easily expect a 1000 watts of continuous power for your appliance or tool.
Fuel Type and Noise Levels:
The Briggs and Stratton 30553 inverter generator uses gasoline as fuel. It has a fuel tank capacity of 1 gallon which lets it run for 6.5 hours at 25% load capacity or about 400W. so you should expect that you’re going to get around 4 to 5 hours at half load.
This inverter generator is very quiet, producing only 59 Db of sound when running which is excellent for being able to carry on conversation while you’re working or needing to keep things relatively quiet while working..
Dimensions and Weight
This inverter generator has overall dimensions of 21 x 14.2 x 17.4 inches (L x W x H ) and it weighs in at only 50 lbs.
This makes this inverter generator very compact and fairly easy to carry and move around.
Add gas at 6 lbs per gallon and your still at about 55 lbs., so that quick and fast use is at your fingertips.
Typical Uses and Needs
Since the Briggs and Stratton 30553 inverter generator is very light weight and portable, it makes it a great handyman size generator. It can, in emergencies, be used as a source of electricity to power the essentials at home during a power outage
With just a 1 gallon tank and run capacity in the 4 to 6 hour range it becomes a handy tool for most folks needing that small range power for chores and projects. You can even use this generator at a job site to run lights and power your tools. .
The power that this inverter generator produces is clean electricity which lets you run your sensitive electronic equipment safely. This inverter generator makes for an ideal companion when you go camping or tailgating to power up your electrical appliances. It can also be used in your RV to power the appliances or charge your battery.
Display & Control Panel, Start-up
The control panel of the Briggs and Stratton 30553 inverter generator is located on the front end of the generator.
When you face the generator you will find that at the top left it has 3 indicator lights. The one to the far left is the Output indicator which comes on when the generator is producing power. The one in the middle is the Overload alarm which comes on when the generator is overloaded. The one to the right is the Low Oil Indicator which comes on when the generator is low on oil.
Below the indicator lights you have the 12 Volt DC cigerate lighter style outlet and below this you have the circuit breaker for the 12 Volt outlet. To the right of the 12 Volt circuit breaker you have the Ground Terminal.
At the top right you have the PowerSmart switch which lets the generator control the speed of the engine as per the load applied to the generator. Below this switch you have two 120Volt 20 amp AC outlets with a 13.3 amp max continous capacity.
The Briggs and Stratton 30553 PowerSmart series inverter generator is equipped with a recoil rope system to start the engine of the generator.
Before you start the generator make sure that there are no loads connected to the generator. Make sure that the generator is placed on a flat level surface. Check the engine oil and the fuel in the tank. Here are the steps to be taken to start the engine of this inverter generator.
- Make sure the PowerSmart switch is in the Off position.
- Turn the Engine switch to the On position.
- Push the Choke lever to the Choke position.
- Grasp the recoil handle and pull slowly till you feel a resistance, then pull sharply to start the engine.
- Once the engine has started move the Choke lever to the Run position. If the engine falters move the lever to the Half Choke position until the engine runs smoothly, then move it to the Run position.
- Turn Off and unplug all electrical loads.
- Move the PowerSmart switch to the Off position.
- Let the engine run for a couple of minutes without any load to stabilize the engine temperature.
- Turn the engine switch to the Off position.
Here are some of features of the Briggs and Stratton 30553 PowerSmart 1,600 watt inverter generator.
- It has a Briggs and Stratton 105 cc engine for a long life, high performance and great fuel efficiency.
- It can produce 1,600 watts of clean electricity continuously with a surge capacity to 2,000 watts.
- With a fuel tank capacity of 1 gallon, this generator can run for 6.5 hours at 25% load capacity and expected 50% load of around 4 hours.
- It has a 12 Volt DC outlet and two 120Volt 5-20R AC outlets (typical duplex) with a total to 13.3 amp generator output.
- It has computer controlled technology which lets it control the engine speed to suit the connected loads increasing fuel economy.
- It weighs only 50 lbs which makes it very portable.
- It is quiet as compared to similar generators producing only 59Db of sound when running.
- It has a unique twin handle design which makes it easy to move it around.
Care and Maintenance and Use
Regular maintenance will improve the performance of the generator while extending the life. Here is the maintenance schedule as recommended by Briggs and Stratton for the 30553 inverter generator.
Every 8 Hours or Daily
- Clean the debris on the generator.
- Check the engine oil level.
After the first 10 hours
- Change the engine oil.
Every 50 hours or 3 months
- Service engine air cleaner and breather filter.
Every 100 hours or 6 months
- Change the engine oil.
- Service the spark plug.
- Inspect the muffler and check and clean the spark arrester.
Every 250 hours or yearly
- Check the valve clearances.
Warranty and Repairs
Briggs and Stratton covers the 30553 PowerSmart series inverter generator by a limited warranty for a period 2 years for consumers and 1 year for commercial users.
This warranty covers all parts and workmanship that is found to be defective and would be replaced under the warranty.
All repairs under warranty are to be done by authorized service dealers. The transportation costs are to be borne by the customer. This warranty requires the receipt as proof of purchase date. If the receipt is not available the manufacturing date of the product will be used to determine the warranty period.
This generator gets very good ratings on Amazon and other sale sites. Most of the customers who bought this inverter generator were very pleased with its performance.
Many owners commented on its fuel efficiency, they also commented on how little sound it produced.
Some of the consumers also commented on its low price as compared to similar generator by Honda and Yamaha. Most of the consumers also liked the fact that this generator was well built and performed as stated by the manufacturer.
Many of the customers who bought this generator for camping or for use with their RVs commented on it being able to supply their power requirements quietly and also helped them charge their batteries when needed.
Pros & Cons
- It is very quiet and can be used almost anywhere.
- It is very light and easily portable.
- It produces clean electricity which is safe to use with sensitive electronic equipment.
- It has a PowerSmart feature that controls the speed of the engine as per the power requirements, saving fuel and extending the life of the engine.It has one 12 Volt DC outlet and two 120 Volt 20 amp AC outlets providing 5 amps and 13.3 amps respectively.
- It is very inexpensive as compared to other similar generators.
- It has a Briggs and Stratton 105 cc engine for long live and fuel efficiency.
- It has twin handles that make it easy to move it around.
- It does not have a fuel gauge to let you know how much fuel is in the tank.
- It cannot be connected in parallel with another similar generator to increase the output.
The Briggs and Stratton 30553 PowerSmart series 1,600 watt inverter generator is available online retailers often with free shipping. You can find it for around $650.
Check the latest price and customer thoughts here: Briggs & Stratton 30553 PowerSmart Series Portable 2000-Watt Inverter Generator
When you get a Briggs and Stratton 30553 inverter generator, there are a few accessories that you might want to get for it.
You can get a dust cover for your generator which would help to protect it from dust and moisture when not in use. CoverMates Generator Cover – Small : 26L x 18W x 20H Classic Vinyl
You could also get a Gen-Tent which protects and lets you run your generator in rain and snow. This one may be overkill for this size, but check it out: GenTent wet weather safety canopy for portable generators
You can also get power cords in different lengths that would help you connect your appliances to the generator. See our article here: Picking Power Cords for Portable Generators.
There are also different plugs that you can get if you want to connect the generator to your RV. Also see our article on Power Cord Adapter Plugs
<href=”#top”>(Back to Top)
The Briggs and Stratton 30553 PowerSmart series inverter generator is a quiet running and fuel efficient generator. This generator delivers clean electricity for use with your sensitive electronic equipment. It can deliver up to 1,600 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 2,000 watts.
It has a PowerSmart switch which controls the engine speed as per the power requirements which lets it run for over 6 hours on 1 gallon of fuel at 25% load capacity, however much less with higher loads. Also we don’t recommend this size generator to run at near capacity if your needs are over 1200 to 1400 watts, but at below 1200 watts you should get longer run capability without overheating or circuit breaking.
Also this generator is very light weighing in at 50 lbs and has twin handles for easy portability. This makes this generator an ideal companion when camping or tailgating where you may need electrical power.
It can also be used at job sites to run lights and power tools. It has a 12 Volt DC outlet which makes it ideal for use in a RV to power the appliances as well as charge the battery if required. It can also be used at home as a backup power source to power essentials in emergencies.
Similar Generation Units:
The following Generators are similar to the above but at different wattage sizes